Wednesday 29 April 2009

Procrastination


I think that this is one being bad thing that we all do. I mean I did it when beginning this blog, I thought I’ll make an entry tomorrow, I’ll make an entry tomorrow and then I figured that I’d better start now or never. I tend to do this about a lot of things, studying, assignments, getting ready to go out, I always seem to wait until the last minute and then have to do a whole load of work all in one day, I think that everyone’s pulled an all nighter studying at some point.

There are some people who say that the ability to procrastinate is what makes us human, animals don’t seem to do it, if they need something doing that just go ahead and do it straight away. And maybe it is a human trait, I guess if we have mental superiority to other animals then was also have the ability to chose not to use them, even though we know we need to. It’s similar to most people in the mornings, they hit the snooze button several times before actually getting out of bed, then just wait around waiting to press it again, knowing that they will be in a massive rush the more they press it, but maybe staying in bed is always more attractive than actually getting up. Maybe procrastination is better than actually doing stuff.

There are many websites on procrastination, most claim how to cure it, and offer really expensive self-help books, which probably aren’t all that helpful. I find that the most effective way of avoiding procrastinating is to make a “to-do list”. Okay, it won’t make you actually do whatever, but it will give you a sense of what actually needs doing. Everything I procrastinate on always seems to get done in the end, maybe your body has some kind of anti-procrastination thing which activates when you seriously need to do something, especially if there is a time constraint.

There are probably many other factors which cause procrastination, maybe you don’t want to get ready because you can’t face seeing someone, or don’t do work because you have no idea what you’re doing. I guess that mostly people worry so much about actually doing something that by putting it off it actually makes it a lot worse. In the end the way to stop worrying is just to motivate yourself into doing it, besides you always feel better after it’s over.



References
http://www.paulgraham.com/procrastination.html
http://sas.calpoly.edu/asc/ssl/procrastination.html
http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/procrastination.html

No comments:

Post a Comment