Thursday 30 April 2009

Duvet Days

I think that there have been times when everyone just wanted to go back to sleep and not get up for another day of working or school, but some companies have a thing called a “Duvet Day.”
From what I’ve heard everyone gets one day a year and they can phone in and say “I don’t wanna get out of bed” or something and that’s fine.

To be honest I think that it seems like a great idea, at the time I first heard about this I was on the bus to work, I had been up from six and waited about half an hour in the rain for the bus to turn up, I could’ve really done with a “duvet day.” Although it’s not really feasible for every kind of job, for example at the place I was working it was so understaffed that if even one person hadn’t come in it would’ve thrown the whole place into turmoil. And also there are a lot of other people who have very important jobs like teachers, what would happen if they just decided not to come in? They would be jeopardising the child’s education, I guess that’s why duvet days are only allowed to office workers who’s jobs aren’t of critical importance.

I think that maybe they are a good thing, it raises moral and gives the employee some choice. They can choose not to come in, it’s like a way to rebel against authority without getting in trouble, you can watch “This Morning” and “Diagnosis Murder” without the pressure of getting a sick note, what could be better?

References
http://www.duvetday.org/

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/career_and_jobs/article2041469.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment